Weekly adulting level: High.
End-of-week energy level: So low. So, so low.
- I spent most of the week avoiding full day binges at the computer and PS4 in an attempt to baby my wrists given my long-running issues; it’s helped quite a bit, but I’m going to keep it up for another week at least.
- Because of that, I haven’t been typing very much. I’m still in the low 60s typing speed wise, which is simultaneously more than fast enough for… anything, really… and still so much slower than my traditional typing speed that it’s driving me nutso. I wanted to start properly drilling this week with the help of gtypist, but I’ve only done a bit of that thanks to the whole wrist thing. In a couple of weeks, though… yeah.
- The visit to the ENT went really well, and I recommend seeing Dr. de Neef at Carolina Ear, Nose, and Throat if you need to see someone and don’t have a regular.
- The other big bit of adulting was me getting all of my stuff together and bringing it (digitally) to H&R Block for that most dreaded of American traditions: taxes. I did that yesterday, and found out today that I owe… a lot. Nearly forty grand a lot. The raw number was a bit shocking, but I knew it was going to be a huge tax bill, since I sold almost all of my tech company equity at the end of last year. Still, ouch.
- That said, with all three of those essentially done, I can now start planning for a multi-week road trip to Arkansas and Louisiana to visit friends and family. I’m actually pretty excited about this! Which is rare for me, because as I’ve mentioned before travel is most definitely not My Thing. I’m looking forward to the languid “go whenever, leave whenever” possibilities for visits that being retired affords me, though.
- I finished the second season of The Expanse, which was even better than the first. Still working on Transparent, although I’m close to the end there too. I really want to start on the second season of Jessica Jones next, but my completionist tendencies mean that I have to watch Punisher first.
- My other big “not gaming, not computing” time sink has been a reread of Iain M. Banks’ Culture novels. I made it through the first two this week, and am already about 20% of the way into Use of Weapons, which remains the hardest one to reread. (I’ve done this “read them all” thing a few times already.) After Weapons, though, the rest of the series is smooth sailing.
…that’s a lot of text, and my arm is tweaking a bit, so I’ll stop there and settle back down with my book. But, hey: progress on actual life things!