As the number above creeps into the double digits, I’m still in Louisiana, planning to head to Arkansas this coming Tuesday. I’m very much still taking it easy, so enjoy this (relatively) shorter synopsis.
- Binged the first two series of Broadchurch with my mom; we’re about halfway through the third. The first was still the best, but it’s an excellent show.
- Finished my reread of the Culture series and decided, against my better judgment, to start reading the Wheel of Time; I have a combined eBook of all of the books in the series from when it was up for the Hugo. My Kindle hasn’t moved from 1% on the progress bar. It’s intimidating.
- Took a couple of hours to reread two of my own novels, both science fiction. They both had some clever bits, and the writing itself was actually quite a bit better than I remembered, but they’re also both woefully incomplete.
- Ate at a local Vietnamese restaurant not once but twice. It was the first time my mother had ever had such cuisine, and I think she’s hooked. If you’re ever in Baton Rouge, check out Dang’s. Their spring rolls and pho are both amazing.
- Taught my older cousin how to solve both sudoku (at her insistence) and fill-ins (because I could). She seemed to really like the latter. It felt good.
- The usual free-to-play videogame grind.
- Managed to play card and board games with the neighbors; I’ve already played Concordia four times on this trip, which is more than any given previous six-month period in my life. It’s so good.
Now to get some sleep. The weather’s been amazing the entire time I’ve been here, cool and not too humid, but tomorrow’s going to be a total mess with thunderstorms. I knew it had to happen before I left. I’m glad it waited so long.