I continued to make a good go of minimizing the amount of adulting this week. In fact, I was rewarded for doing so; I got the notice in for getting my car inspected so that I can update its registration. This means that the maintenance procrastination I’ve engaged in for the last month and a half retroactively became time-saving genius. Good job, me!
I’m up to 42 words per minute of typing with Colemak. Median typing speed according to Google is 41, so in less than a week of using a completely new keyboard layout I’m already at a functional level. It’s a painfully slow and error-ridden functional level, mind. I’m actually at an ugly point where I’m still not great at all with the New Thing, and my ability to do the Old Thing is much worse due to overwriting those synapses in my brain. I’ve taken to doing a few QWERTY typing tests every day just to make sure I don’t become a hunt-and-peck typist when I sit down at any keyboard that isn’t mine. Thankfully the keyboard that is mine supports changing layouts on the fly in the hardware, so I don’t have to mess with operating system jankiness when I bounce back and forth. I haven’t had to do that much either; it’s just long passwords that are more muscle memory of patterns than actual characters I remember that send me scurrying back to QWERTY.
Other than that, I’ve:
- taken to watching both catsonurhead and Landail on the regular on Twitch; the former is a super-friendly speedrunner and the latter is on an insane quest to play through every console RPG ever;
- started streaming on Twitch myself at http://twitch.tv/sunfalltoennien, mostly Let It Die but also some random other stuff that no one watches;
- finished the fifth season of The Americans and the second season of Transparent, both of which were amazing;
- gone to dinner twice with old coworkers at the same restaurant, because it has bacon wrapped cheese stuffed jalapeños and is therefore automatically the best restaurant in town;
- used the whole slow typing thing to push off coding and writing yet another week.
I also played some board games early in the week, which I already wrote about here. I both do and don’t look forward to giving gaming in a public space another try.
Lastly, bored status: still definitely no.